What to do
- Assemble a stack of word index cards. The cards should be a mix of all irregular words learned so far. (Optionally, once students are comfortable with irregular words, you can include some regular words in the pack too.)
- Now let's play a game. We're going to try to go through this stack of cards as fast as we can saying the word on each card. Let's see how fast we can go. My turn first.
- Next, model taking the top card of the stack, showing it to the students, and saying the word after a pause. Continue through the stack.
- Do you think you can go faster than I did? Call on a single student in the group, starting with a student you think may be slower. Show the first card: What's the word? If the student is incorrect, correct him, have him repeat your answer, and move to the next card. Praise correct answers.
- Select the next quicker student and repeat until all students in the group have worked through the stack.
- Okay, now let's go faster. Shuffle the stack of cards and repeat with students in the same order, but encouraging them to go faster.
- If time and focus allow, shuffle and repeat at an even faster pace.
- For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.