Irregular Word Fluency, Bingo
|Activity Type: Build Fluency|
|Activity Form: Game|
|Group Size: Whole Class|
|Length: 20 minutes|
|Materials: 1 Image:Bingo Board.doc per student, index cards, bingo markers (i.e. pennies, scraps of paper), Word List Generator, Irregular word cards|
|Goal: Given a spoken irregular word, the student can say its sound with automaticity (“irregword” -> "irregword")|
|Items: All irregular words learned so far.|
 What to do
- Before introducing the game, print and photocopy enough Image:Bingo Board.doc for each student to have one. Create a list of 25 irregular words using the word list generator or irregular word cards. Click here for a sample . Copy each word onto an index card. Also copy each word onto the chalkboard.
- Pass out one bingo board to each student.
- Today we are going to play Bingo. Instead of playing regular Bingo, we are going to play Word Bingo. First, I need everyone to make their own bingo board. Look at all of the words on the chalkboard. You need to copy each word into a square on your bingo board. Remember, do not copy the words in order.
- Demonstrate for students at the front of the room how to do this, using a model bingo board.
- Okay, now that we have our boards made, lets begin to play. When I call out a word, cover that word with a marker. When you get a straight line, yell out “bingo.” Ready?
- It may be helpful to draw a bingo board on the chalkboard and show students different ways to make a straight line.
- Use the index cards to call out words one at a time.
- Make sure to check students’ boards when a bingo is called out.
- If students play the game well, allow the winner of the game to be the next caller.
- Observe students. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.
 Related activities
- Irregular Word Fluency, Around the World
- Irregular Word Fluency, Bam!
- Irregular word fluency
- All Irregular Words Activities