Irregular Word Fluency, Around the World
|Activity Type: Build Fluency|
|Activity Form: Game|
|Grade: 1, 2|
|Group Size: Whole Class|
|Length: 10 minutes|
|Materials: Irregular word index cards (print them here)|
|Goal: Given a printed irregular word, the student can say its sound with automaticity (was -> "was")|
|Items: All irregular words learned so far|
 What to do
- Before introducing the game, print all irregular words covered in class on sturdy index cards. If possible, laminate all cards. Shuffle index cards and place them in a stack.
- Now, you are going to play a game. Two people will stand up and I will show them a card with a word printed on it. The first person to read the word correctly is the winner.
- Demonstrate how to play. Ask two children who sit next to each other to stand up. Count to three, and then show them a word card. Good, ___ is the winner. The person who reads the card correctly moves on to the next person. The other person must sit down.
- Continue around the room until everyone has had a chance to read a card. When a child loses, he must sit in the seat of the person to whom he lost.
- The student who makes it the furthest around the room is the winner.
- Observe students play the game. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.